If you are thinking of upgrading your home security, you might be wondering what the cost to change and install a new deadbolt lock is. A deadbolt lock is a type of lock that can only be opened by turning a key or a knob and not by using a spring or a latch. Deadbolt locks are more resistant to picking, bumping, and forced entry than other locks.
The cost to replace and install deadbolt locks depends on several factors, such as the type of lock, the brand, the quality, the size, the complexity of the installation, and the Miami locksmith company’s labor fees.
The Type of Deadbolt Lock is a Top Factor that Affects the Cost
There are different types of deadbolt locks, such as single-cylinder, double-cylinder, keyless, smart, and biometric.
- Single-cylinder locks are the most common and affordable ones, and they require a key to unlock from the outside and a knob to open from the inside.
- Double-cylinder locks require a key to unlock from both sides, which can provide more security but also pose a safety risk in case of an emergency.
- Keyless locks use a keypad or a touchscreen to enter a code to unlock the door.
- Smart locks use wireless technology to connect to your smartphone or other devices and allow you to control and monitor your lock remotely.
- Biometric locks use your fingerprint or other biometric features to unlock the door.
The Brand and the Quality of the Lock Also Influence the Cost
There are many brands of deadbolt locks on the market, such as Schlage, Kwikset, Yale, Medeco, Baldwin, and more. Each brand has different models and features that vary in quality and price. It would be best to look for a lock with a high-security rating, durable construction, smooth operation, and a warranty. Some of the best-rated deadbolt locks are:
- Schlage B60N: This is a single-cylinder deadbolt lock that has a Grade 1 security rating, which is the highest rating for residential locks. It has a strong metal body, a hardened steel bolt, and an anti-pick shield. It comes in various finishes and styles to match your door. It costs around $40 for the hardware and $70 for the installation.
- Kwikset 980: This is another single-cylinder deadbolt lock that has a Grade 1 security rating. Its patented SmartKey technology allows you to rekey your lock in seconds. It also has a bump-proof design and an anti-drill shield. It comes in different finishes and styles as well. It costs around $50 for the hardware and $80 for the installation.
- Yale Assure Lock SL: This is a keyless deadbolt lock that has a Grade 2 security rating, which is still very good for residential locks. It has a sleek touchscreen keypad that lets you enter your code or use your smartphone to unlock your door. It also works with Alexa, Google Assistant, and other smart home devices. It comes in various finishes and styles, too. It costs around $309 for the hardware and $100 for the installation.
- August Smart Lock Pro: This is a smart deadbolt lock that has a Grade 2 security rating as well. It has a simple design that attaches to your existing deadbolt lock and lets you control it with your smartphone or voice commands. It also works with Alexa, Google Assistant, Siri, and other smart home devices. It comes in silver or dark gray colors. It costs around $229 for the hardware and $150 for the installation.
Remember, you can buy the lock online and call a locksmith for the installation.
The Deadbolt Lock Size and the Complexity of the Installation also Affect the Price
The size of the lock depends on the size of your door and the existing hole in it. If you have a standard door with a standard hole (2 1/8 inches in diameter), you can easily find a compatible lock that fits your door. However, if you have a non-standard door or hole (such as an older or thicker door), you might need to drill a new hole or enlarge the existing one to fit your new lock. This can add to the cost and time of the installation. So, the cost to change and install a new deadbolt lock can vary greatly.
The complexity of the installation depends on how easy or difficult it is to install your door lock. If you have some essential tools and skills, you can install your new lock by following the manufacturer’s instructions.
However, if you are not confident or experienced enough, or if you have a complicated or high-tech lock that requires wiring or programming, you should hire a professional locksmith to do it for you. A professional locksmith service in Miami can ensure that your lock is installed correctly and securely and offer advice on how to use and maintain your lock.
Deadbolt Lock Installation Cost
Generally, you can expect to pay between $75 and $200 for home-related locksmith services.
The labor fees vary depending on who you hire and where you live. The average cost of hiring a locksmith is between $50 and $100 per hour, plus a service call fee of $15 to $25. However, the cost can vary depending on the location, the time, the type of lock, and the job’s difficulty.
Some locksmiths might charge a flat rate for installing a new lock, while others might charge by the hour. You should always ask for an estimate before hiring a locksmith and compare quotes from different Brickell in Miami locksmiths to find the best deal.
So, the cost to change and install a new deadbolt lock can range from $100 to $300, depending on the type, brand, quality, size, and complexity of the lock and the installation. Consider your budget, security needs, door compatibility, and installation preference when choosing a new home deadbolt lock.