These ten locksmith tools are for anyone that might want to unlock their cars or residence themselves or for a beginner locksmith. You might not need them all, but just a few might save you a lot of stress and money one day. So let’s begin with our new list!
- Tweezers – Tweezers made for locksmiths are grooved at the end so you can pick up things such as pins. They are an extension of your hand when you need to do some re-keying.
- Followers – We are not talking about Instagram or Facebook followers here. Followers in the locksmith world are used to help you re-key a pin-tumbler. My favorite is the HPC follower set; this one will probably work for 95% of the locks out there.
- Cap Removal Tool – This tool can help remove the end cap of a lot of deadbolts, you can use an end of a pick, but that’s a slow process. Invest in a cap removal tool; it will pay itself in the time you save.
- Hand-held scope – We tend to work in tight spots as locksmiths, and sometimes it is impossible to see with our normal vision in tight places. Therefore, I recommend buying an LED technology scope to put more light and make your work easier.
- Kwikset cylinder removal tool – If you are working on Kwikset’s, the Kwikset cylinder removal tool is a must-have; without it isn’t easy to re-key a lock.
- Key gauge tool – This tool helps you when you don’t know the combination when re-keying locks.
- Shims – Padlock shims are designed for use on padlocks; they are inexpensive and straightforward but a must for any beginner. They are used mainly to take apart a lock when not having a key.
- Pick sets– A simple set of picks is all you need when starting, the most popular picks are diamond, rake, and hook pick. It’s up to you to pick flexible or rigid picks.
- Pinning Mat – Use these mats to keep your pins in a van or car secure so they won’t spill on the floor and make a mess.
- Pin kit – A lab pin kit can help you re-key 95% of residential and commercial locks around.
So there you have it; these are the best locksmith tools for beginners you will need to get things started in locksmithing.