Burglars usually don't scheme robberies like in the Movie Ocean 8, but a few attack with considerably more precision via the residential door lock. Downtown Miami Locksmiths experts realize burglars can strike even with a sound security system installed or a significant deterrent like a big dog. However, these criminals' way of entering homes doesn't change, like bypassing the front door or through a locked or forgotten unlocked window.
Most people live scared of intruders (burglars) is factual, but does it have to be like that? No, it doesn't, and with the guide below, you'll know the top ways burglars outmaneuver residential door locks, windows, and home defenses, plus the things these criminals take.
Homeowners leave Open Windows and Have Cheap Residential Doors Lock
It is shockingly normal that people forget to lock their doors and windows. So please, close your windows and doors before going to sleep or leaving your home for a quick errand.
According to ADT, most burglaries occur between 10 AM and 3 PM, not at night. Remember, burglars can ransack your house in under ten minutes. And, yes, even the best high-security door lock or electronic lock can amount to nothing if not used correctly.
Burglars like Homes with no Alarms
If your home doesn't have an alarm system and it's dark, burglars can target the door locks with bypassing techniques like bumping or picking your lock. Usually, with an alarm, an intruder will think twice before attempting unlawful entry.
If you don't have the budget for a security system, consider a smart lock with a video feed to know if someone is trying to enter via the front door. Or at least a loud barking dog.
Install a Sturdy Residential Door Deadbolt Lock
52% percent of criminals enter through the front residential door lock and back door. A weak lock will do nothing to keep them from entering when the intruder uses brute force.
Ensure you install high-quality, sturdy, high-security deadbolts to all exterior doors of your home. I recommend single-cylinder bump-proof deadbolt locks so you can exit safely in case of an emergency.
Sliding Patio Door needs a Door Lock Too!
Burglars like sliding doors since their simple to bypass. However, you can prevent a break-in by mounting a security bar or wedging a dowel rod into the track's frame, making an obstruction that stops an easy entry.
Nevertheless, the sliding patio door latches don't help at all. So if you have a high crime rate in your city, consider replacing the latch with a sliding patio door deadbolt lock.
Burglars Like Unkept Landscaping
Intruders frequently take advantage of enormous, obstructing trees and hideouts. Then, they will strike to bypass your door locks or windows at the right time. I suggest cutting trees and branches that lead into the second-floor window.
Consider planting thorny or sharp plants next to your windows if you don't like cutting trees. Burglars aren't dumb; they know that the authorities will soon catch them if they cut themselves on thorny plants and leave proof like DNA.
Keep the Garage Door Shut or Closed
Most of the time, homeowners don't consider the person walking down the street assuming that he's/she's a neighbor. Yet, a burglar looks like a neighbor unless you think these criminals walk around dressed in black camouflage outfits. But they can be eyeing your drill, motorcycle, or other expensive tools. In addition, intruders know that most people don't secure their garages in their homes, and burglars know they can exploit the garage with just a coat hanger.
That criminal is right. Many people stress over cash and jewelry getting stolen than their power tools and bike in the carport. But, as quite possibly the most vulnerable place in your house and lucrative piece of your home, your carport is another prime objective for burglary.
How do you Know you're a Target?
Always pay attention to your home's surroundings and the front lawn and back patio. Some minor changes can demonstrate that a burglar is casing your house.
Regularly, a criminal will mark the house to check whether anybody is home and change the mark to remind themselves to return to that house. These marks can be a missing doormat or even different things that are left outside of your home inexplicably.
Once a burglar puts a mark or thing in front of your home, you throw away the thing; it means you're home. But, unfortunately, it may happen daily until the criminals see that you haven't thrown the item away, meaning you are no longer home.
Top Valuables and Items Burglars Target
Check below the top items criminals steal and search for when inside your home!
- Money-Criminals like burglars, thieves, and even one-time offenders love money. It's challenging to recover from losing a lot of cash. Still, an intruder gets immediate satisfaction from it, mostly to buy drugs. Also, try not to store some money in a conspicuous place—the cabinet, a small safe, a side table, or leave it lying around your bedroom.
- Prescription drugs-Prescription drugs go far as usage, demand, and resale value. Burglars often use drugs, so they know others who might like USDA-approved ones simple to buy. Also, most law enforcement agencies cannot track medicines. Therefore, burglars know these drugs are inside the medicine cabinet, not even locked.
- Jewelry-Like all of us, criminals likewise like jewelry to wear or sell. You'll require an innovative spot to stash them other than a simple, open jewelry box. Maybe something like a burglar safe would work better at preventing entry. And you can even store cash too.
- Tech devices and hardware-PCs, smart devices, TVs, smartphones like iPhones, and other electronic things offer a superior resale value on the streets. But, since homeowners don't consider a break-in, they're typically forgotten or left in the open.
- Guns-Intruders won't mess with a gun safe or bolted cabinet. However, if they think they can bypass the lock or it's not heavy to carry, then game on.
- Tools-Typically, if a hoodlum can't get into your home, they'll attempt the garage to get their hands on your tools. They know these tools bring a decent amount of cash.
Caraballo Liberty Locksmith can Install a Durable Residential Door Lock
Our Locksmith services in Miami cannot be beaten; contact us today and get back the peace of mind burglars have taken away.